Saturday, December 31, 2005

Semper Fi

Went down to Giovanni’s to see about a job. They gave me one immediately. There was a guy playing the piano; a handsome Columbian named Raphael. He sings in that passionate, "I'm dying of love" South American style. I liked him. He's talented.

V was at the bar. He said, I’ve been waiting five years for you to come back, I heard you went to Vegas.” So we started talking. V is a Marine.

We decided to adjourn to Little Italy for a Sicilian Cappucino. That’s coffee with Anisettte. I was very open with him. Told him about the wedding, my mother, lots of things.

He’s in fish. I mean literally. I asked him if I could go with him to the new Fish Market. He said, No. No way. Those guys are animals. I growled.
V was warm and strong. I feel safe with old school Italians. I need connection, warmth, family, relationship…call me a pussy, but I want to feel like I am part of something bigger – something I can count on. V also expressed interest in having me put together a website and PODCAST for him direct from the fishmarket. He offered to pay me in "trade." What would that be I asked. He said, " How about 5 pounds of frozen shrimp. " After some negotiation he agreed to furnish me with 6 pounds of frozen shrimp a year for the rest of my life. V has a large blonde moustache and blue eyes. Virile, direct, a good listener.

So now that I have Fridays at Giovannis I thought I should get another day. I went up to Helens. Talked to a handsome lawyer.
Who knows.
Here’s the letter I put in the package.

Dear Helens:

I have enjoyed many happy nights at your piano bar. In my opinion it is one of the best cabarets in the country. Your pianists are excellent.

It is with the greatest humility that offer my services as front room piano player. I am available early or late and will gladly accompany any singer who wishes to sing.

I read charts, transpose, and play by ear. I tailor my style to suit the moment and the room. From Broadway to Jazz Standards to Soft Rock classics, when it comes to taking requests, and supporting singers, I am your man.

Dae Bennett, Tony’s son, is just putting the finishing touches on my new CD.


Sincerely,
Phoebe Legere
Singer Pianist

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes
the hardest
task for
any artist
is to just
walk into
a situation
and demand
the attention
you deserve.
It works.

12:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home